Sunday, August 14, 2011

Zwetschge Picking

Last week we picked Zwetschge, or for most of us, we picked plums.  David and I have a discussion about the name of this fruit every summer.  Literally translated a Zwetschge is a prune.  Do these look like prunes to you?  Of course not!  Ryan, on the other hand, calls them blueberries.



David's mom has a tree in her front yard and we went over and helped ourselves.


We picked until we couldn't stand the wasps anymore and then headed home.  The next part isn't nearly as fun as picking them, but the end result is pretty yummy.  I dumped them all into my sink for a wash and then I cut and pitted them all.


I weighed out 1kg -or 2.2 pounds of fruit and then I added this nifty bag that has all the ingredients you need to make jam. 



Next you bring it to a boil and boil it for 4 minutes.  I'm not a big fan of big chunks of fruit in my jam, so I used my hand blender and blended it all up.  When that's all taken care of you pour it into your cute jars, seal them tight, and you have plum (Zwetschge) jam!  Pretty cool!

3 comments:

  1. yay!! i love it!! :-) so great to see you on here. can't wait to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog looks good! I like it! Thanks for asking us to come with you! We had fun picking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you need to send me a jar of that blueberry prune jam :)

    ReplyDelete