My sewing area has evolved
over the years. Some time in the first few years of living in
Switzerland I bought a sewing machine from one of our local grocery stores.
It wasn't spectacular, but it did the trick. I wasn't into sewing like
I am today, but I'd grown up with one always in the house. So I got one.
My few scraps of fabric, and sewing supplies fit into a box and I kept my
sewing machine put away most of the time. That's how it stayed for a few
years. Some where down the line I met a good friend who inspired me to
get sewing. She helped me make a table runner. Then I took up the
project of making a tree skirt.
One evening, after the
boys were in bed and David was away for work, I got out my unfinished tree
skirt and got down to business. I had
that pedal pushed all the way to the floor pushing the machine to its limits.
While my little machine zoomed away I had visions of the tree skirt
beautifully draped under our Christmas tree.
Then something horrible happened.
My machine started slowing down, and came to a deathly stop. Nothing I did got it rolling again, and it
kind of smelled bad. We took it apart
and came to the conclusion that I’d burnt out the motor.
That little episode inspired me. Going without a sewing machine made me realize how much I enjoyed creating and sewing. Two sewing machines later, and many more than just one box of fabric, I now have a sewing corner. Just this week I decided it was time for change. There was no real rhyme or reason to things and my sewing table started to become a dumping ground for all of my supplies and anything remotely related to sewing. Plus, I came home with yet more fabric and didn't really have a place to put it. It was time for a major over haul.
Here's an embarrassing before picture.
After a trip to Ikea and a marathon building morning, here are the after pictures.
My favorite part of the new sewing corner are the magnetic strips that hold up my scissors. Aren't they neato? I've got a little more organizing to take care of, but for now, it's a pretty great sewing corner and I'm even more inspired to sew.


No comments:
Post a Comment